How not to do breast cancer awareness! If you want to do something for awareness, why not making your status links to instructions for breast self-exams? (Or testicular self-exams, or skin self-exams, or guidelines for Pap smear frequency, or...)
It bothers me how breast cancer is spun as this thing that's horrible because it affects breasts... not because it affects women.
In other news, solar is back at the White House! President Carter had solar panels installed during the 1970s energy crisis; President Reagan removed them. President W. Bush used solar for some things, but it sounds like the Obama White House is scaling up.
3 comments:
Aydan, I am right there with you! It's absolutely ridiculous, and that facebook game makes no sense when it comes to raising awareness. I also dislike the deluge of pink items that are marketed for "Breast cancer awareness"...when, really, lady? You just want an excuse to buy pink lipstick and feel good about yourself. Sorry, that was kinda mean, but that irritates me, how even when it comes to health care and a matter as serious as cancer, women are sexualized and objectified and awareness has to be sold in either pink and girly items, or in the form of dirty-sounding facebook game.
I think I blogged about a critique of the "pink" campaign and the ethics behind it, if you get a chance you would probably enjoy the radio program.
Thanks for the comments, and ditto about the deluge of pink items! I will check out the radio program when I get a chance.
Post a Comment