Saturday, March 16, 2013

Why I love my menstrual cup

 Content note: obviously, this post talks about menstruation

One thing I did for environmental reasons that I ended up loving for its practicality and ease of use was buy and use a menstrual cup. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, a menstrual cup is a reusable, bell-shaped vessel about two inches long (this can vary), usually made out of rubber or silicone, that is inserted into the vagina, creates a “seal” with the vaginal wall up near the cervix, and catches menstrual blood as it comes out of the uterus. They serve as a replacement for pads and tampons.

For those of you who do know what I'm talking about and want more details, the kind I bought was a silicone DivaCup, the smaller size for nulliparous women. When I bought mine (I think I was a freshman in college, to give you an idea) there weren't nearly so many kinds as there are now. This morning I went to menstrual_cups, a LiveJournal community dedicated to the subject, and counted about twenty kinds now listed in the sidebar, only half of which I recognized. I would imagine that the proliferation of kinds makes it easier to find something for almost any body and comfort preferences, but also that having so many options makes it harder to choose.


Using a menstrual cup definitely has a learning curve. The hardest part is usually learning to insert it properly, which often means learning one of the many folds that creative cup users have come up with over the years. The purpose of folding the cup is to get it into the vagina easily-- the thing is an inch or so in diameter when open, so you can imagine how difficult that could be to insert without folding. The DivaCup I bought recommended a fold called the “C-fold,” which is the most basic; after a lot of experimentation, I settled on the “punch-down” fold.

In addition to the frustration that can result from trying to get the darn thing in and, once it's in, trying to get it to open and seal, you also have to learn how to get it out again without making a mess (answer: carefully), and, usually, how to clean it in public (answer: hold on to it tightly, dump contents in toilet, wipe out with toilet paper, reinsert). All of these things together took me at least a year to get decently good at it. If you're squeamish about blood, or your own blood, or menstrual blood, you'll probably want to get over that as well. It's not that it has to be messy, but you do have to be comfortable with your own genitals.

I know I've made using a menstrual cup sound pretty intimidating and high-effort. So why did I bother? At first, I wanted to stick with it for the environmental benefits as well as the money I was saving; I think I bought my cup for about $30, which took the place of $3-6 worth of pads every month. As I actually got the hang of it and got used to it, I found that I liked it as an experience more than any other kind of feminine hygiene supplies. I've never really liked or been able to use tampons, and wearing pads led to the uncomfortable sensation of being able to feel the blood gushing out (yes, gushing is the word I wanted to use there) and constantly worrying that it was going to leak out. I used to have very heavy periods (more on the used to in a bit), and even though I often had to use a pad with the cup as backup, it still just felt better. It was also cleaner and smelled better, since the blood stayed inside my vagina instead of smearing over everything.

Arguably the most awesome thing that happened was that my periods lightened up. They used to be very heavy, lasting about six days; I had terrible cramps and lost a lot of blood. Now they're three days, if that; I never use a backup pad any more and can't remember the last time I overflowed a cup. I don't actually know if this was due to the cup. Maybe it was just my hormones settling down-- I bought it when I was a freshman in college, and now I'm in graduate school. I'm not the only one who's noticed this, though. One theory is that the suction of the cup pulls the blood out a little faster, but I don't think this is the case, since I had heavy periods for a couple of years after using the cup. Only later did they lighten up. Another theory is that pads and tampons have some sort of chemical in them that makes periods heavier, or longer, or worse? That sounds like a conspiracy theory to me, and I would like to believe it's not true, but there's not a lot that comes out of corporate America any more that surprises me. Another possibility is that the people who buy menstrual cups are disproportionately in about the same age bracket as I was, so that many of us are observing the same hormonal transition.

Anyway, between the change in my periods (cup-induced or not), and the significant increase in convenience and decrease in mess that comes with using a cup, I often forget I'm having my period at all. I know that some people find menstruation to be a positive and empowering experience; to that I say more power to you, I'm just not one of you. For me, not noticing my period is a good thing because it means I can get on with my life with fewer distractions. It's also something I never would have imagined happening when I was sixteen and having horrible, long, heavy periods each month.

I've been using my cup pretty much exclusively for the last two years or more, and before that I was only using one to three pads each month, as backup. It has paid for itself several times over at this point, it has made having my period a much more pleasant experience, and it has let me divert what would probably be several cubic feet of blood-sodden pads from the landfill. There are other conveniences, too, that I haven't mentioned yet-- for example, I don't have to worry about running out of pads or tampons. I don't even have to think about it.

In conclusion, check out this hilarious and jaw-droppingly awesome tampon vs. Mooncup rap battle.

No comments: